I’ve shared before how I hate waste, and always try to find recipes that will use up ingredients before they go off, so finding a good Banana Cake Recipe has been an ongoing trial for a while. We often have a couple of bananas past their best and I always try to get them used up somehow. Previous attempts at Banana Cake usually result in quite a rubbery texture and thick, chewy ‘crust’. But not this one. This is by far my favourite Banana Cake Recipe and now my go-to recipe. Really simple to make. It’s lovely and moist, not rubbery at all, and has a lovely cakey outer layer, no thick, chewy crust.
But don’t just take my word for it, give this recipe a try and see for yourself.
For this recipe, you will need :
- 125g of butter
- 100g of caster sugar (although granulated sugar also works well)
- 175g of self-raising flour
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 100g of sultanas
- 1.5 tsp of vanilla extract
- Icing sugar for drizzling
Plus a loaf tin, baking paper & kitchen foil.
- Pre-heat oven to 150 degrees C (fan oven), 170 degrees C (standard oven) or gas mark 3. Grease and line your loaf tin.
- Melt butter and sugar together (either in a pan on the hob or in the microwave), until the sugar is dissolved.
- Sift flour into a bowl and add a pinch of salt.
- Add the melted butter and sugar mixture.
- In a separate bowl, peel and mash the bananas, then add to the flour/butter mixture.
- Crack and beat the eggs, then add to the mixture.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Add sultanas.
- Combine everything well either by hand or using a food mixer.
- Scrape mixture into your loaf tin.
- Over the tin loosely with kitchen foil.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes. If you want the top of your cake to brown, remove the kitchen foil for the last 10 minutes of baking.
- After 45 minutes, insert a knife to make sure it comes out clean , if not, put back in the oven and keep checking every 5 minutes until the knife comes out clear.
- Once baked, leave in tin to cool slightly for 15 minutes.
- Once slightly cooled, transfer from tin to a plate.
- Make up a small amount of icing to drizzle over the top.
- Leave icing to set a little, then serve and enjoy 😊